Admit it, anything served on a platter looks pretty amazing. There’s just something about a platter laden high with treats. This DIY Vanilla Slice Dessert Platter is certainly no exception and is sure to bring the wow factor.
This “Vanilla Slice Platter” is super easy and budget friendly to create – it took very little effort to create something that looks delightful. The best thing – this platter was under $10. There’s a lot of wow factor for under $10!
Why not create this platter for your next afternoon tea, birthday celebration or “just because” family dessert.
What’s on The Vanilla Slice Platter?
- Puff Pastry Squares dusted with icing sugar
- Thick Vanilla Custard
- Passionfruit Icing
- Raspberry Jam
- Whipped Cream
Not Much Time? Here’s How to Hack Your Vanilla Slice Platter
- Use a tub of double cream instead of whipping your own.
- Use a carton of custard instead of making it.
- If you don’t want to cut up & cook the puff pastry you could use Lattice Biscuits (available at most Coles & Woolworths stores).
Want to know how to create the platter for under $10? We used the following ingredients to keep the platter budget friendly. These prices are an approximation and may be different in your suburb/state. Even if you pay slightly more, it’s still a very affordable platter to create for family and friends.
- 2 sheets of budget Homebrand puff pastry (1.50)
- 300 ml tub whipping cream ($1.80)
- Homemade passionfruit icing ($2)
- Homemade vanilla egg custard ($1.50)
- 1/2 jar of Raspberry Jam ($1)
- Tub of strawberries ($2)
Make Your Vanilla Slice Platter Just A Little Different
Sometimes you might have different tastes or not be able to get the same ingredients as above. Here are a few variations you could swap out or even add to supersize your platter.
- Add a little drinking chocolate & icing sugar to whipping cream for a chocolate twist.
- Add blueberries and raspberries instead or in addition to the strawberries.
- Make a lemon or orange custard instead of vanilla.
- Add a tub of flavoured cream cheese like lemon or caramilk.
- Add some grated chocolate or crumbled flake.
How To Assemble Your DIY Vanilla Slice Dessert Platter
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 12 squares/rectangles and place them on a tray lined with baking paper. Brush with egg or butter and bake in a hot oven until puffed (will take around 5 minutes). Cool and then dust with icing sugar.
- Whip cream to desired consistency and place in a bowl.
- Add 2 eggs, 50g flour, dash of vanilla, 50g sugar and 500 mls milk to a saucepan and whisk over low heat until thick and glossy. Let it cool and transfer to a bowl. I make the custard in a Thermomix – you’ll find the recipe here.
- Combine 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp with 1/2 cup icing sugar until smooth – add a little more icing sugar if you like stiffer icing.
- Wash strawberries and place in a bowl.
- Arrange elements on a platter of your choice and serve with small plates so your guest can build their own dessert.